#UtilitiesFail

Our lot is served by Duke Energy Progress for electricity and Craven County for water. Setting up new accounts and getting service established at the property for construction was pretty simple. Sewer service, however, was an exercise in frustration.

When we closed our land, we got a packet of information about the private company that provides sewer service to our community. We filled out the forms, had them notarized (can you believe it), and sent the forms to the contact email address provided. A week went by and I heard nothing about next steps.

I took to the Internet to find a phone number to call and discovered North Carolina was no longer a state covered by the company. After a little more investigation, I realized there had been some sort of sale or spin-off and our sewer service was now provided by Carolina Water Service of North Carolina. Their tagline is: Superior Quality. Efficient Operations. Exceptional Customer Service.

Carolina Water Service of North Carolina website. Note the tagline under Pay Your Bill button; courtesy of CWSNC

I can't speak to the quality of their sewage removal yet, but they have neither efficient operations or exceptional customer service.

I called customer service and asked for the person to whom I had emailed our forms. The representative told me he was no longer an employee and gave me a new name and email address. I emailed the forms again. And heard nothing for another week. On Monday of Week 3, I began calling customer service daily and asking to speak to my new contact. For five day, nary a call back. On Monday of Week 4, I asked for her boss and was transferred to the vice president of Operations. I explained my situation and he said he would have "one of his girls" get back to me. After a month of trying to get service established, I chose not to fight the equity in the workplace and respecting women employees battle. I wanted my poop handled with quality too badly. Definitely not exceptional customer service!

After our account had been established but before the lot was even cleared, let alone the sewer pump installed, we got a bill for regular service usage. I called customer service...again, and learned their systems have no way of knowing when we actually begin using the sewer system. Every month when we get their bill, I have to call and have the charges removed from our account. Definitely not efficient operations!

We are more than a bit leery about how this is going to play out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Den Built-ins

Selecting the House Plan

Selecting an Interior Designer